I’m a psychologist by background. My research focuses on the experiences of people with dementia and their carers, and the potential for digital design and technology to help them live meaningful and connected lives within their communities. I carried out my PhD in the School of Applied Psychology, University College Cork, and within that project I worked within nursing homes, where I explored the potential for digital musical interactions to create opportunities for performing, connecting with one another, and belonging in community.
Some of my broader research interests are:
- Community research initiatives
- Creative and innovative ways of researching and designing with our participants
- The role of the arts within health & old age research
- Critical perspectives on experiences of the body within dementia and old age
- Qualitative research methods & analysis of all types
When I’m not at work I love to read (fiction), write (fiction), and run.